Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From BBC food magazine.
- 200 g basmati rice
- 14.79 ml sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 inch gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, cracked
- 7.39 ml curry powder
- 50 g frozen peas
- 50 g frozen sweet corn
- 50 g sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in
- 375 ml boiling water
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Rinse and soak the rice for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large, ovenproof saucepan. Add the oil, then the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook on a low heat until the onion is soft. Add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom pods and cook for a further 2 mins on a low heat. Add the curry powder and cook for a further 2 mins, then stir.
- Drain the rice and add it to the saucepan. Stir so that the rice is coated in the oil and spices. Add the peas, sweetcorn and half the flaked almonds, if using. Pour over the stock and stir.
- Cover the pan with a lid or with a sheet of foil, then cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes Remove from the oven, scatter with the remaining almonds, if using, and serve.
Easy to make, lots and lots of flavour. My only thing, I would add the peas and corn at the end if I can, warm them and fold them in, I felt they were over-cooked using this method, but that is only my thought. Much enjoyed, made for My 3 Chefs 2013