I know, I know - vegans are supposed to be super healthy. But sometimes even us veggie munchers want a sinful comfort food snack and this recipe will fill that bill nicely. And hey, the flaxseed and whole wheat flour add a little extra fiber so they're not totally junk food. NOTE: Because we're frying here in an indeterminate amount of oil, that sopped up stuff is not in the final calorie count. But if you're eating onion rings right, you're not counting calories tonight anyway. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain soymilk (rice or almond milk will work, too)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced to desired thickness (1/2 inch slices recommended for restaurant style rings, 1/4 inch or less for onion strings)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (to dredge)
- olive oil (to fry)
- 1Preheat a pan of olive oil deep enough to float the rings to 375 degrees.
- 2In a mixing bowl, mix ground flaxseed in water and set aside 2-3 minutes until it hits a gooey "egg-y" texture.
- 3Add in oil, milk, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- 4Whisk until smooth.
- 5Dredge onions in flour and quickly dip them into the batter mixture.
- 6Place enough battered rings to cover the pan in preheated oil and let them float and fry for about 2 minutes. Flip when they achieve a pleasant brown color around the outer edges. Fry 2 more minutes on the flip side, remove with tongs and set onto a plate covered in many layers of paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- 7Try to keep your hands off them until they're ready for the table.
- 8Gloat at non-vegan friends who say you never get to eat any fun foods.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nice and Spicy Vegan Onion Rings
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.5
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 211.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g