Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I haven't tried this yet, but it looks extremely authentic and delicious. Please review it if you try it before me!
- Cover the beans generously in water and soak at least 4 hours.
- Drain the beans and place in a large pot with two quarts of water.
- Pin the bay leaf to the onion with the clove and add to the pot.
- Add beans and garlic.
- Gradually bring beans to a boil, skimming off foam.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer the beans uncovered until tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, adding salt to taste during the last ten minutes.
- Drain the beans and refresh under cold water.
- Discard the onion, bay leaf, and clove.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring 2.5 cups of water and 1 tsp salt to a boil.
- Add the rice and return to a boil.
- Gently simmer the rice until tender, about 18 minutes.
- Let the rice sit uncovered for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy frying pan.
- Add onion and brown well, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and beans and cook until very aromatic and the rice starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Correct the seasonings and serve.