Recipe by Sue Lau
Recipe from Etz'nab's Nicaraguan grandmother. I have not tried this- posted for ZWT4.
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked white beans
- 1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 3 lbs of beef oxtails
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water (approximate)
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with pan lid.
- Brown the oxtails in lard, and place in a large casserole or crock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the 2 cups water and beans.
- Aside from the 2 cups water, cover food in the casserole or crock pot with just enough water to cover.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, then drain the beans form their cooking liquid and add to pot, then simmer 1 1/2 hours more, stirring occasionally. This may need more time if a slow cooker is used (approximately 3-4 hours then add beans, then 3-4 hours more).
- Remove lid and allow to cook uncovered to make a thicker stew,.