Recipe by Whisper
I love breakfast! This is a delicious way to start your day. The recipe should have been posted by Kree, as it is from the Food & Folklore of the 1,000 Islands by Pamela and Michael Sykes. It comes from the Clarence Street Grill in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
Top Review by keeney
Whisper, this recipe is as sexy as your name! My DH is NOT a culinary aficionado, but he was "moaning" as he ate this dish! We live in Manitoba, so I substituted saskatoons for the blueberries (they have a more intense flavor). I can't wait to try this again.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large ripe peach
- 1 -2 ounce Amaretto
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- confectioners' sugar
- almonds, sliced and toasted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make 2 sandwiches with the bread using the softened cream cheese as filling.
- For the batter, beat the eggs, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Slice the peaches and saute over medium heat in butter until slightly soft.
- Add the blueberries and amaretto; let simmer for a minute or so.
- Dip the sandwiches into the egg batter and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a warmed plate and slice on the diagonal.
- Pour fruit over top of the toast.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of confectioners sugar and toasted almonds.