Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love breakfast! This is a delicious way to start your day. The recipe should have been posted by Kree, as it is from the Food & Folklore of the 1,000 Islands by Pamela and Michael Sykes. It comes from the Clarence Street Grill in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large ripe peach
- 1 -2 ounce Amaretto
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- confectioners' sugar
- almonds, sliced and toasted (optional)
- Make 2 sandwiches with the bread using the softened cream cheese as filling.
- For the batter, beat the eggs, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Slice the peaches and saute over medium heat in butter until slightly soft.
- Add the blueberries and amaretto; let simmer for a minute or so.
- Dip the sandwiches into the egg batter and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a warmed plate and slice on the diagonal.
- Pour fruit over top of the toast.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of confectioners sugar and toasted almonds.
Whisper, this recipe is as sexy as your name! My DH is NOT a culinary aficionado, but he was "moaning" as he ate this dish! We live in Manitoba, so I substituted saskatoons for the blueberries (they have a more intense flavor). I can't wait to try this again.