Recipe by CarolineOYum
An updated version of a classic, tasty and healthy French salad. Great quality ingredients are important in this colourful protein-rich and nutrient-rich salad. Serve on a large flat platter for four people, accompanied by fresh bread, for a perfect summer lunch.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for our lunch today and what a delicious dish! I did cut the anchovies down to 2 and used spinach, iceberg lettece and some romaine for the greens, used the asparagus spears option and used both fresh parsley and some dill in the dressing otherwise I followed the instructions. Next time I might make a little more dressing but this is definately a keeper and going into my Favorites of 2012. Thank you for posting and I made this for My Three Chefs June 2012 tag game.
- 2 tuna fillets, fresh yellowfin tuna, sushi-quality, generous size
- 6 free-range eggs
- 12 baby potatoes
- 18 asparagus spears, thin (or green beans, topped-and-tailed)
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1⁄2 small lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped (parsley or tarragon or dill or coriander or combination)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce, Kikkoman
- 12 small tomatoes, cherry, roma, baby tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, finely sliced (small onions are fine)
- 1 sweet pepper, seeds removed and finely diced (yellow, orange, red, not green)
- 12 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 200 g greens, a variety of green leaves such as baby spinach, rocket, watercress, romaine, iceberg, etc
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub tuna fillets with olive oil and sear very briefly in a hot pan on both sides until white on the outside, still pink on the inside. Allow to cool and slice with a sharp knife.
- At the same time hard-boil eggs at a very low simmer (about 15 minutes at sea-level, a little longer at higher altitudes.) Plunge into cold water. Peel and quarter.
- Also at the same time boil potatoes (peeled or unpeeled, your choice) until soft and done. Cool and halve.
- Also simultaneously steam/shallow-boil asparagus (or beans) for 2 - 4 minutes and then plunge into cold water to retain colour.
- Make dressing by mixing chopped anchovy fillets, olive oil, juice of half a lemon, some zest of lemon rind, herbs, minced garlic, white pepper and soya sauce.
- Put halved potatoes, asparagus (or beans), halved small tomatoes, finely sliced shallots, sweet pepper and halved olives in a mixing bowl and pour dressing over. Mix gently.
- On a large flat platter arrange green leaves and top with dressed vegetables, egg quarters and seared tuna fillet slices.