Recipe by Chef Jean
This is a popular dish among Zimbabweans. It's very basic and is served often. You can use canned pumpkin, but you may need to adjust water to get the right texture. Prep time does not include cooking pumpkin. Posted for ZWT.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄2 lb pumpkin, peeled, cooked and mashed (include any cooking liquid)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water to a boil in a good-sized saucepan and put in the corn meal. Cook, stirring frequently, until it forms a porridge.
- Next, stir in the mashed pumpkin. Then add the sugar, peanut butter and salt and combine all ingredients well.
- Continue to cook for a few minutes over low heat, adding about ½ cup of the retained pumpkin cooking water if necessary to make the consistency you prefer. Serve immediately with spinach or another leafy green.