Recipe by English_Rose
A novel way for grilling salmon giving a lovely smoked flavor and moist fish! Can even be cooked over the campfire!
Top Review by MA HIKER
We used two fillets of salmon for a total of 3 lbs (I love leftover salmon to use in other recipes). It was so cool cooking this in newspaper - what an adventure! I just had to trust it would turn out okay and it was great! I did about 20 minutes per side. When I turned it over I wrapped another section of wet newspaper around to reinforce the wrapper. Next time I would cut fennel amount in half - not my favorite spice and it was pretty strong. Otherwise very very good! ZWT 2007
- 1 1⁄2 kg fresh salmon, scaled and gutted
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- olive oil
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- 1 newspaper
- 2 lemons, sliced thinly
- 6 scallions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, lightly crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the salmon inside and out with olive oil, salt and pepper and half the herbs.
- Place salmon in opened out newspaper.
- Scatter over lemons, scallions, the rest of the herbs and fennel seeds, tucking some into the inside of the fish.
- Drizzle with a little more oil and wrap the fish in the paper securing tightly with string.
- Wet the parcel thoroughly so all the paper is soaked.
- Place on grill / campfire for 25 minutes on each side.
- Serve with salad.