Recipe by Marie
Anything the Newmans do is top quality. Although I have not tried this yet, it looks like a "to die for" recipe. Found it on another website just this morning and wanted to share it.
Top Review by cuisinebymae
This makes a very fine textured cake. The blueberry and lemon flavours go well together-one does not overpower the other. I used homemade lemonade for this as the local supermarkets do not carry the Newmans brand. The tart sauce was a nice accompaniment to the sweet cake. This dessert is at its best served warm and fresh. Tasty!
For the cake
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons newman own old fashioned roadside virgin lemonade (or your favorite)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
For the lemonade sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups newman own old fashioned roadside virgin lemonade (or your favorite)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- fresh blueberries
- mint sprig (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Cake: Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 9 X 9" baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the shortening and sugar on medium-high speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the lemon extract and the lemonade.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt and add to the shortening egg mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Beat well after each addition- the batter should be smooth.
- Sprinkle the blueberries in the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cake batter for the sauce and pour the remaining batter over the blueberries.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the Lemon Sauce: Place the reserved 1/2 cup of batter in a medium saucepan.
- Mix the warm water with the lemonade and stir into the batter, combining well.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until the sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Cut the cake into serving pieces and place each piece on an individual plate, then pour the sauce over it.
- Garnish with blueberries and a mint sprig.
- Serve hot or cold.