1/4 Photos of Newfoundland White Bread
4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 45 mins
haven't the slightest's Note:
Delicious traditional homemade bread from Newfoundland. I found this recipe on a blog called 'Rock Recipes'. Prep time includes 3 hours resting time to let the dough rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine 3 cups of the flour along with the sugar, instant yeast and salt in a large bowl or in the bowl of a large electric mixer that uses a dough hook.
- 2Add the melted butter and warm milk.
- 3Using a wooden spoon or the regular paddle of your electric mixer beat for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is smooth with no lumps. If using an electric mixer, switch to the dough hook at this point and begin to slowly incorporate the remaining 2 cups of flour. If not using an electric mixer keep mixing in the flour gradually until a soft dough forms that leaves the sides of the bowl.
- 4Turn the dough out onto the countertop or bread board to knead. You may need to use a little less or a little more flour, this is not uncommon. Knead the dough for an additional 10 minutes either in the electric mixer or on a bread board or countertop.
- 5Cover dough and leave to rest and rise for one hour.
- 6Punch the dough down and knead it for a few minutes by hand before letting it rest for another 10 minutes.
- 7Grease 2 medium loaf pans. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions, forming each division into a ball. Place 3 balls of dough in each loaf pan.
- 8Cover with a clean tea towel and allow the dough to rise until it is about 2 inches above the rim of the pan, about 2 hours depending on room temperature.
- 9Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the pans that you are using.
- 10When baked, turn loaves out onto a wire rack to cool. Brush the tops with melted butter if desired to soften the top crust.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Newfoundland White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.9
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 9.9 mg
- Sodium 306.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 5.1 g