Recipe by Mille®
Potted salmon dates back to eighteenth century England. There are numerous regional variations and this one comes from Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- 4 salmon steaks, each weighing approximately 6 ounces
- 1⁄4 ounce ground mace
- 1⁄4 ounce ground cloves, well mixed with mace
- white pepper
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ Gas 4.
- Wipe the salmon steaks and season with the spices and a little white pepper.
- Place them in a well-buttered ovenproof dish and dot with butter.
- Cover with a lid or piece of foil and bake for 30-40 minutes, occasionally basting the steaks with the liquid.
- Lift out the salmon steaks and allow them to drain well.
- Allow them to cool a little, and then remove all skin and bones and flake the flesh finely.
- Place in 4-6 ramekin dishes and press down well.
- Spoon the melted butter over the fish to seal, and leave to set.
- Serve well chilled, as a starter, with buttered crusty bread or toast.