Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Cooking Light. I love Newcastle on it's own, so this has got to be good. You could serve it over egg noodles instead of the mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 cups onions, sliced-about 1 1/2 lb
- 4 lbs rump roast, trimmed
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces dark beer, such as Newcastle
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups nonfat milk
- 4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over med high. Add onion; saute 12 min or til almost tender. Reduce heat to medium low; cook 40 min or til onions are caramelized, stirring frequently. Transfer onions to a bowl.
- Place pan over med-high. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle roast evenly with 1 1/2 t salt and 1/2 t pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 min, turning to brown on all sides. Add onions, broth, thyme, and beer to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 350 for 2 hours or til tender, turning over halfway during cooking time.
- Remove roast from pan. Cover and keep warm. Place pan over med high. Add cornstarch to pan, stirring with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 min, stirring constantly.
- To prepare potatoes, place fat free milk and potatoes in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min or til tender. Mash potatoes; stir in poppy seeds and remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve roast with potatoes and sauce.