Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
No baking is necessary for these clever bar cookies!
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 lb graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup raisins, soaked and drained
- chocolate icing
- Melt together first 3 ingredients until bubbly; remove from heat, add egg and beat well.
- Add the rest of ingredients and mix.
- Pack into a greased 8"x8" cake pan.
- Drizzle with chocolate icing and refrigerate.
This really is what I know as 'hedgehog' slice. I used crushed shortbread biscuits as I cannot get graham crackers in Australia and sultanas instead of raisins and butter as I prefer not to cook sweets with margarine. The result was yummy and for our tastes was sweet enough to for go the icing.
I've lived in New Zealand for 21 years, and I haven't the slightest clue what a "graham cracker" is!
Lliving in nz for 2 years i find it strange that a recipe calls for "marg" not butter.