Recipe by Chef PotPie
Submitted for ZWT '06. I haven't tried these yet, but everyone at our house loves meat pasties.
Top Review by ThinOne
These are wonderful. My late MIL used to make these FIL was full blooded Fin, she was full Italian. I wasn't sure which ethnicity to look under for this fabulous recipe. I did change it up a bit by adding 1/4 tsp dill weed. Other than that, I was greatful to find Mom's recipe. Thanks for posting and be sure to try it yourself. We dip ours in ketchup.
- 8 ounces flour
- 2 ounces Crisco
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces finely diced raw potatoes
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 2 ounces chopped onions
- 2 ounces finely diced raw carrots
- 1 ounce green peas (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour and salt. Cut in Crisco and butter until a sandy texture is reached.
- Make a hollow in the middle and add water.
- Mix to make pastry, handling as little and lightly as possible.
- Wrap in greeseproof paper and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Roll out pastry to approx 1/8" thick, and cut into 5" rounds.
- Moisten the filling with a little water and place a generous spoonful in the middle of each round, making sure it's in a pile and not flattened out.
- moisten edges with beaten egg, fold in half and flute the edges to seal.
- Brush pasties with beaten egg and bake 275F for 45 minutes to 1 hour until nicely browned.