Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Submitted for ZWT '06. I haven't tried these yet, but everyone at our house loves meat pasties.
- 8 ounces flour
- 2 ounces Crisco
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces finely diced raw potatoes
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 2 ounces chopped onions
- 2 ounces finely diced raw carrots
- 1 ounce green peas (optional)
- Sift together flour and salt. Cut in Crisco and butter until a sandy texture is reached.
- Make a hollow in the middle and add water.
- Mix to make pastry, handling as little and lightly as possible.
- Wrap in greeseproof paper and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Roll out pastry to approx 1/8" thick, and cut into 5" rounds.
- Moisten the filling with a little water and place a generous spoonful in the middle of each round, making sure it's in a pile and not flattened out.
- moisten edges with beaten egg, fold in half and flute the edges to seal.
- Brush pasties with beaten egg and bake 275F for 45 minutes to 1 hour until nicely browned.
These are wonderful. My late MIL used to make these FIL was full blooded Fin, she was full Italian. I wasn't sure which ethnicity to look under for this fabulous recipe. I did change it up a bit by adding 1/4 tsp dill weed. Other than that, I was greatful to find Mom's recipe. Thanks for posting and be sure to try it yourself. We dip ours in ketchup.