48 hrs 20 mins
Punky Julster's Note:
This recipe came from the Christchurch Press a couple of years back and makes excellent ginger beer. You can add more sugar afterwards if you like it sweeter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put first measure of sugar in warm water to dissolve, add yeast and stir.
- 2Place in warm place to start working.
- 3Finely grate or slice rind from 2 lemons and place in a heatproof container with the 1 cup of sugar and the dried ginger.
- 4Pour over 1 cup of boiling water and leave to steep for 10 minutes.
- 5Strain into 1.5 L plastic bottle in which the ginger beer will be made.
- 6Top up bottle with cool water to near top so that final temp is approximately body temperature.
- 7Add yeast to bottle as soon as it shows signs of working, ie. it foams.
- 8Cap bottle tightly.
- 9Mix thoroughly and put in a warm place.
- 10Leave until bottle becomes undentable. Depending on the yeast this can take anything from 12 hours to 3 days, but best to check regularly, as there is a risk of explosion with this!
- 11Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and open with great care!
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Zealand Lemon Ginger Beer
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.8
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 211.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 204.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of