1/1 Photo of New Zealand High Country Sheep Station Roast Lamb
4 hrs 5 mins
This is the recipe that was used on the New Zealand high country sheep station I spent my early years growing up on. It's simple in the extreme. Kiwi's generally don't like their meat with any red still showing, so if you like your meat still walking this is not one for you :) It was preferred to make rich gravy's, homemade mint sauces etc to serve with this. If cooking mutton (tougher but lots cheaper) instead of lamb, start the same but cook at least 30-60 minutes longer at slightly lower temp again when turning down the temperature. Long and slow is the key, Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat your oven to 450°F (225°C).
- 2Put a little soy sauce unto the palm of your hand and rub into the meat, repeat until the entire leg is "painted" with soy sauce all over.
- 3Rub in the sugar all over the lamb.
- 4Salt and pepper all over.
- 5NO fat, oil or butter etc is necessary.
- 6(Set a metal rack into your roasting dish to elevate the meat so that it roasts and doesn't boil in the juices and fat that will drip out during cooking).
- 7Put into a roasting dish, and COVER it, roast in your really hot oven for 15 minutes.
- 8After 15 minutes, turn it over, roast a further 15 minutes, still COVERED, this seals in the juices.
- 9Turn down the oven to 375°F (190°C) and cook UNCOVERED for a further 2.5 -3 hours (turning over half way) depending on how well done you like your meat.
- 10Use a skewer to check that the juices are running clear from the thickest part of the meat.
- 11REST the meat for at least 20 minutes before carving so that the meat fibers can relax, if it doesn't rest, it will be tough.
- 12(I cover mine while it's resting with an old clean tea towel that I keep for this purpose).
- 13If you wanted to make roast potatoes etc shove them in in the last hour that the meat is cooking. Try not to nibble as you carve or you will find everyone in the kitchen at carving time fighting you for the best bits :).
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Zealand High Country Sheep Station Roast Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 946.9
- Calories from Fat 550
- Total Fat 61.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.3 g
- Cholesterol 303.9 mg
- Sodium 1264.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 86.1 g