Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
I found this delicious salad years ago in an article on the cuisine of Australia and New Zealand.
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup peeled diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- lettuce leaf, for serving
- Cook the peas in a small amount of boiling water 3 minutes and drain immediately.
- Cool, then combine with the corn, cucumber and onions in a large bowl.
- Shake remaining ingredients except lettuce in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid and pour over the vegetables, tossing until all are coated.
- Cover and chill.
- Serve on lettuce leaves.
An easy, adaptable dish, great for "make ahead." I added 6 oz. cooked shrimp and 1 tbsp. feta cheese and served over mixed baby greens to make a whole meal of it. The dressing has a delicious flavor, which I punched up a bit by using white balsamaic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. My only reservation is that the delectable dressing flavor didn't come through very strongly in the salad itself. I'll try it again and tinker some more! barbandscooby
I quite like having this salad. The only ingredients I omit are the oil, vinegar and garlic. I love using regular mustard sauce for this instead of dry mustard.