Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious salad I found while searching for regional cuisine.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 kiwi fruits
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, strips
- 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook rice in water according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Peel kiwifruit and cut into 1/4" thick slices. Cut slices in half to form semi circles.
- Core and dice apple into 1/2" cubes.
- Toss together rice, kiwifruit, apple, celery, red pepper strips, walnuts, green onions and parsley in salad bowl.
- Mix together vinegar and oil. Drizzle over salad.
- Toss to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours, to allow flavors to blend, before serving.
- Makes 6 servings.
What a great, refreshing salad! I left out the walnuts (allergies), and used Newman's Own balsamic dressing, and it was still fantastic. Tripled the recipe, except for dressing. Made the night before, and refrigerated. Every once in a while I turned the container upside down so the dressing would distribute. Took to a cook-out and it was the first dish to be completely empty. Congrats on a great recipe!!
I completely love this recipe. I love kiwi fruit and granny smith apples, so it really made this rice salad even more enjoyable.
Unusual and outstanding. I had this salad along side salmon tonight and had a complete dinner. The kiwi in this is lovely and adds something special. I use brown rice often and I'm pleased to discovered another way to enjoy it. I must say that I particularly like that the dressing is very light in both amount and flavor. I normally skip any dressing but this is so light that there is no need to here. I had to use white wine vinegar but don't feel that the salad suffered from it in any way.