Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe comes from the New Zealand Beef and Lamb Board.
- 8 shoulder lamb chops, well trimmed
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed and sliced thickly
- 2 apples, cored and sliced thickly
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram (or use 1 tsp dried) or 2 -3 tablespoons oregano (or use 1 tsp dried)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan and brown the lamb chops well. Transfer to a casserole.
- Add a dash more oil to the pan and brown the onions, leek and apple slices. Scatter over the lamb chops with the carrots and marjoram or oregano. Season well with salt and pepper and pour the stock over.
- Cover and cook at 325F for 1¼ - 1½ hours or until the lamb chops and vegetables are tender.
- Carefully pour the cooking juices into a saucepan, leaving the chops and vegetables in the casserole for now. Mix the cornflour with enough water to make a smooth paste and stir into the cooking juices. Cook, stirring over a moderate heat until thickened. Add the golden syrup or maple syrup, season and pour back over the chops and vegetables in the casserole dish. Mix well and serve with plenty of mashed potatoes.