Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This started out as a basic recipe many years ago and slowly evolved until it became the best salmon cakes I've ever had. Please use the celery and red bell pepper as it is essential to the taste. If you don't have the wasabi powder you can just substitute cayenne pepper which tastes different but is still good but please don't use 1/2 tsp! LOL!
- 418.15 g can salmon
- 29.58 ml hellman's light mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced (about 4-5 tablespoons)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped (scallions)
- 2.46 ml wasabi powder
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 59.14 ml plain breadcrumbs, plus extra for coating
- 59.14 ml hellman's light mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1.23 ml dried dill
- 1.23 ml red wine vinegar
- 0.25 ml garlic powder
- Remove skin and bones as desired.
- Add rest of the ingredients to the salmon and combine well until the mixture holds together well (if it is too dry add a little mayo).
- Forming a salmon cake with your hands, coat on both sides with the breadcrumbs.
- Gently place in hot oil in your frying pan and cook over a medium heat until nicely browned.
Although I really liked the taste, these turned out extremely wet even though I followed the directions exactly, even draining the salmon very well. I had to add approximately 1/2 - 3/4 cup additional bread crumbs to get it close to the consistency it needed to be. That said, they were delicious once done. The tartar sauce was a disappointment though - could be that my lemon was extremely juicy but I had to add almost a half jar of mayo to get it very thick at all. You may want to adjust the lemon juice to 1 tablespoon or less. I will make the cakes again but not the sauce.
Scancan is the greatest cook ever! This is the second recipe of hers that I tried and it was awesome!!! Anyway, I didn't use bell pepper (not my favorite) and didn't have any wasabi in my cupboard so had to make due with a fresh jalapeno. Still great though. Will be making this one again soon to! Thanks Scancan, keep 'em coming!
I used leftover steamed salmon instead of canned. I was really afraid the wasabi was going to be overpowering, but it was perfect! I left out the bell pepper, because I donâ€™t like them. Wow, they browed up really nicely. Thank you for posting!