Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from Graham Kerr, the man who said, "If you are out of salted nuts, the best appetiser is champagne!" This is from Volume 1 of his CBC Television Cookbooks. I also have Volume 3 and it was published in 1969, so this recipe is some kind of late 1960s cocktail party creation. Graham's recipe notes include: "At heart this is a dish that everyone enjoys except those with ulcers and those who have a romantic meeting with someone who isn't at the party." and, "Vodka based creations blend well." I use party rye-sized pumpernickel bread for the "brown bread rounds" he writes of; also, this recipe is for 2 people only so increase if you're serving a crowd (makes a great summer party treat) but don't make them too far ahead.
- 4 slices brown bread (or 2 slices if they are large)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 slices onions (VERY thin!)
- salt and black pepper (I like LOTS)
- 2 slices tomatoes
- minced parsley, to garnish
- Cut rounds from brown bread (big enough around to hold your tomato and onion slices), or use party rye-sized pumpernickel bread with crusts trimmed (and smaller tomato and onion slices).
- Place onion slices on one slice of bread and season with salt and pepper.
- Sandwich bread together.
- Spread edges of bread with mayonnaise then roll the edges in minced parsley.
- Garnish with a slice of tomato and sprig of parsley if you like.
- (Actually, I like to just cram the tomato into the sandwich as well--).
I have been eating these since I was a kid, except without the parsley. Love it on toasted bread and you could use Miracle Whip or butter. You could even add some radish slices, sliced cheese, lettuce, cooked bacon, ham or scrambled eggs. Yummy.
I used to eat these all the time as a kid...great with a cheese slice,ketchup, and mustard! (It's almost like a burger without the burger).
We used to have these sandwiches when the tomatoes in my Aunt and Uncles garden were ripe and we had fresh baked rye bread from the bakery....great memories! I used green onions, omitted the parsley, and also used a good amount of salt and pepper. If you can get really fresh tomatoes they are the best for this sandwich.