Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Even people who don't like pumpkin pie... LOVE this pie - it has a meringue-y, melt-in-your-mouth, whipped texture - guaranteed to please everyone at the holidays... Mrs. Smith's frozen sweet potato pie is a good alternative, too!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare pie shell, prick the crust and bake until three-fourths done [usually 7-11 minutes].
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with the salt, cinnamon and ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a metal bowl placed over a pot with 2-3 inches of water in it on the stove.
- Blend in the pumpkin puree.
- Beat the egg yolks and stir into the mixture.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- Cook over hot, not boiling, water until thick, stirring constantly.
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in the remaining sugar.
- Fold into the pumpkin mixture.
- Turn into the pie shell and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top has browned.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Very good and easy to make even though its over a hot stove.
Wow! This is absolutely delicious and quite enjoyable to create. The recipe turned out to be larger than my pie shell needed, so I poured the extra into 3 custard cups and baked them along with the pie. Family reviews were off the charts by everyone. (The cinnamon listed in ingredients is not listed in directions -- of course, just add with other spices.) Enjoy!