1 hr 40 mins
carrie sheridan's Note:
Even people who don't like pumpkin pie... LOVE this pie - it has a meringue-y, melt-in-your-mouth, whipped texture - guaranteed to please everyone at the holidays... Mrs. Smith's frozen sweet potato pie is a good alternative, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare pie shell, prick the crust and bake until three-fourths done [usually 7-11 minutes].
- 2Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- 3Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with the salt, cinnamon and ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a metal bowl placed over a pot with 2-3 inches of water in it on the stove.
- 4Blend in the pumpkin puree.
- 5Beat the egg yolks and stir into the mixture.
- 6Add the sour cream and mix well.
- 7Cook over hot, not boiling, water until thick, stirring constantly.
- 8Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- 9Gradually beat in the remaining sugar.
- 10Fold into the pumpkin mixture.
- 11Turn into the pie shell and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top has browned.
- 12Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New York Times Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.4
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 112.9 mg
- Sodium 467.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 36.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g