Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This pizza sauce is easy to make and tastes better than store-bought.
Make and share this New York-Style Pizza Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 2 t. dried)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or 1 1/2 t. kosher salt)
- In a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, olive oil, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic, and salt.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed.
- Use immediately or store in a air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
It's a nice flavorful sauce, BUT....It's not a New York style pizza sauce by a long shot. This is more in line with a Spaghetti sauce. Yes, there is a difference. I was very disappointed.
This recipe is a real find and with just minor changes is awesome! I do not like oregano so I left it out. Will decrease salt next time to 1/2 teaspoon. Used fire roasted tomatoes - my favorite. This is a very thick sauce so I added a splash of water to thin it out. Just put everything in blender if you want a smoother sauce - couldn't be easier. Still 5 stars and will become my go to recipe for pizza sauce. Thanks so much for posting!
This is a super delicious pizza sauce!!