Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
A basic "Big Apple" pizza dough recipe. This pizza dough is built for that signature thin-crust, "fold-able" slice New York is famous for.
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) packageinstant dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm water (not hot!)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups bread flour (or as needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Add the water, yeast, sugar, and a 1/2 cup of the flour into a mixing bowl. Stir well and let sit for 20 minutes. It will get bubbly.
- Add olive oil, salt, and 2 cups of the flour, and mix with a wooden spoon until it's together enough to turn out on to a lightly floured work surface to knead.
- Knead for about 10 minutes, while adding more flour a little at a time, to produce a soft, elastic and slightly sticky dough. Do not add too much flour, just enough to keep it from sticking to the work surface as you knead.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl. Drizzle a few drops of oil and coat the top of dough to prevent the surface from becoming dry.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot for 2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 2 balls and place in large zip lock plastic bags and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to use, remove from fridge, and let the dough come up to room temperature before using.
I like to make pizza on Fridays. I usually make the low carb pizza, but I wanted one with a dough crust. Found this recipe and gave it a try. It turned out to be the best pizza dough I've ever made. I pit one dough ball in the fridge and used the other one after it rested for the 2 hours. I made a homemade New York pizza sauce, ,and used leftover ham and grilled chicken thighs pepper jack and mozzarella cheese. I got up this morning, and my husband left a note on the cutting board saying that was best he'd had in a long time. That's saying something, since he's from Long Island! I have bookmarked it on my kindle, thanks for sharing I can't wait to make another with the dough in the fridge! Merry Christmas to all!
This was one of the best pizza dough recipes i have ever had. So very easy to make and tastes wonderful. Thanks chef #712157
Very good and it reminded me about the time I visited New York. The people were nice, but not too friendly. Down here, we may not always be nice, but we're always friendly.