These are easy to make and taste like the brined Deli pickles on the East Coast. I can't believe how many gallons of these I made last summer! If you like pickles you will love these.
- Layer the cucumbers and dill heads with garlic.
- Pour the remaining ingredients over all and cover with cold, fresh water, filtered if you can.
- Cover with cheesecloth.
- Weigh down the pickles with a plate and jar of water. Cover with a clean tea towel.
- Check after 72 hours, remove any scum that may have formed and wash cheesecloth, plate and jar of water and replace them.
- Check after another 72 hours and see if they are done enough for you. If so, pack into sterile jars and cover with the brine.
- Store in the refrigerator to slow the fermentation process.
- I make these in a big dough bucket and pack into gallon jars and some plastic containers to give as gifts.