Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great chicken pot pie made New York style.
- pastry dough
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup butter or 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lard or 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable shortening, melted
- 5 -6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon bacon bits
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen vegetables
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups turkey, shredded
- Crumble salt, flour, and butter.
- Add water and milk one tablespoon at a time.
- Stir lightly until dough clings in a ball.
- This should be enough for 2 pie shells,or what you can do is just let the dough sit and use a 9x13 pan and put dough on top.
- Sauté celery, onions, garlic, oregano, parsley,sage and butter together.
- Add flour to make a paste.
- Add buttermilk, Worcestershire Sauce,and bouillon cubes.
- Cook until thickened.
- Add vegetables and meat. Stir in bacon bits.
- If using pie shells, fill pie shells, and cover with remaining dough and back at 375°F for 20-25 minutes.
- If using a 9x13-inch pan, pour the veggie/meat mixture in the pan, and then cover with a layer of dough.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes.