Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Got this from the cake mix doctor and have made it lots of times with great success. I am taking it to a potluck tomorrow and just made it, so thought I'd post the recipe here. It's a very simple recipe and the cheesecake tastes sublime :)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packageplain white cake mix
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan with melted butter or vegetable shortening.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of cake mix and set it aside for making the filling.
- Place remaining cake mix, melted butter and 1 egg in a large bowl and beat on low speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stop the machine, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- The batter should come together in a ball - if its crumbly, just bring it all together with your hands.
- With your fingertips, pat the batter evenly over the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the prepared pan. Set pan aside.
- For the filling, place the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk in the same mixing bowl you used for making the crust, and with the same beaters (no need to clean these either).
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds until just combined.
- Stop the machine, add in the remaining eggs, reserved cake mix, the sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Pour the filling onto the crust and spread it out with your spatula so it reaches all sides of the pan.
- Place pan in oven.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes - until it looks shiny and the center no longer jiggles.
- Leave the oven on and put cake aside while you prepare the topping.
- In a small bowl combine sour cream and sugar well. Spread over cheesecake and return cheesecake to oven for 7 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- Lightly cover with Saran Wrap and place in refrigerator to cool for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- This keeps well in the refrigerator upto 1 week - covered in foil or saran wrap.
- Can also be frozen, wrapped in foil, for up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before serving.