Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
from the blog Healthy Delicious - http://healthy-delicious.com/2009/12/new-york-style-bagels/ - cook time includes rising time
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- Add sugar and yeast to 1/2 cup warm water, without stirring. Let sit for five minutes, then stir until dissolved.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and our in the yeast mixture along with half the remaining water. Begin to mix, adding more water as needed to form a firm dough.
- On a floured counter, knead for 20 minutes (I know its a long time, consider it your arm workout for the day). Cover and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled. Punch down and let sit another 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. To form the bagel, dip your pointer finger into some flour and poke it through the middle of the ball to form a rind. Stretch it out so that the hole is about 1/3rd the diameter of the bagel. Continue with remaining pieces. Set on a cookie sheet, cover, and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the baking soda to a large pot of water and bring it to a boil. Working in batches, add about 3 bagels to the boiling water. They should float to the top almost immediately. Let boil 2 minutes, then flip over and let boil 3 minutes on the other side. Remove and return to cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining bagels.
- While the bagels are boiling, combine the egg yolk with 2 Tbs water. Brush over the bagel as you remove them from the pot. Sprinkle with any toppings that you desire (ex: coarse sea salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dehydrated garlic, etc).
- Heat oven to 450. Bake bagels for 10-15 minutes or until the bagels are a light golden color.
It would have helped if you had specified a GREASED cookie sheet. I just finished scraping mine off the cookie sheet. Boy, are they ugly!
Made these today and they were perfect. I doubled the batch , made poppy seed, onion, sea salt and plain. My DH wanted cranberry orange so it's 8PM and am finishing baking my 2nd batch. YUM YUM
made these to go with breakfast. they are perfect. Of course now I have to make more as there were none left over.