New York Strip Steaks With Tennessee Barbecue Sauce
- Make the sauce: In a small saucepan, whisk all the sauce ingredients with ½ cup water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then decrease heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Trim most of the exterior fat from the steaks; let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Roughly chop the garlic; then sprinkle the salt on top.
- Using both the sharp edge and the flat side of the knifeblade, crush the garlic and salt together to create a paste.
- In a small bowl, mix the paste with the oil, rosemary, and pepper; smear mixture evenly all over the steaks.
- Grill over direct high heat until cooked to desired doneness, 6-8 minutes for medium-rare, turning once (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect heat).
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 3-5 minutes; serve warm with the sauce on the side.