Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Mayo Clinics healthy recipe section. They call for 4 oz steaks but if i'm going to cook a steak, i want the real deal. Enjoy!
- 2 (8 ounce) New York strip steaks
- 1 teaspoon trans-fat free margarine
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup whiskey
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4-6 inches from the heat source.
- Grill or broil the steaks until slightly pink on the inside, about 10 minutes each side. A food thermometer will read 145 for medium rare. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, heat the margarine over medium heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms, thyme and rosemary. Saute lightly until the mushrooms are tender, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully add the whiskey (careful not to flame). Stir the sauce for another minute. Top the steaks with the mushroom sauce and serve immediately.