Recipe by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made this recipe from Feb 2009 Bon Appetit and thought it was really good. The recipe recommends using grass-fed steak and to serve the steak rare. Prep time includes time for the steak to rest.
Top Review by Susie D
Delicious! I grilled ribeyes to medium and was very pleased with the recipe. While I liked the steak seasoning the olive relish is definitely the star. I used smoked paprika and was glad I doubled the spicy relish. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :-)
- 3 tablespoons fruity olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half (preferably fresh)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 2 (14 -16 ounce) New York strip steaks, about 2 inches thick
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 Tb oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced garlic, red pepper, and bay leaf. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add shallots and saute until just translucent, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley, olives, and vinegar. Add 1 Tb water. Add more water by teaspoonfuls to thin as need. Season Chimichurri with salt and pepper.
- Note: This can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Rub steaks with 1 Tb oil and pressed garlic. Sprinkle both sides of each steak with 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp coarse salt, cayenne, and generous amount of black pepper. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush heavy, very large oven-proof skillet (preferably cast iron) with oil. Heat over high heat until almost smoking. Add steaks.
- Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn steaks and transfer skillet to oven.
- Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into steaks registers 110 to 115 degrees F for rare, about 10 minutes.
- Let steaks rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice cross-wise. Spoon chimichurri over.