Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
DH and I made this recipe from Feb 2009 Bon Appetit and thought it was really good. The recipe recommends using grass-fed steak and to serve the steak rare. Prep time includes time for the steak to rest.
- 3 tablespoons fruity olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half (preferably fresh)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 2 (14 -16 ounce) New York strip steaks, about 2 inches thick
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat 2 Tb oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced garlic, red pepper, and bay leaf. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add shallots and saute until just translucent, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley, olives, and vinegar. Add 1 Tb water. Add more water by teaspoonfuls to thin as need. Season Chimichurri with salt and pepper.
- Note: This can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Rub steaks with 1 Tb oil and pressed garlic. Sprinkle both sides of each steak with 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp coarse salt, cayenne, and generous amount of black pepper. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush heavy, very large oven-proof skillet (preferably cast iron) with oil. Heat over high heat until almost smoking. Add steaks.
- Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn steaks and transfer skillet to oven.
- Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into steaks registers 110 to 115 degrees F for rare, about 10 minutes.
- Let steaks rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice cross-wise. Spoon chimichurri over.
Delicious! I grilled ribeyes to medium and was very pleased with the recipe. While I liked the steak seasoning the olive relish is definitely the star. I used smoked paprika and was glad I doubled the spicy relish. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :-)
Served this at a family gathering and even the olive haters loved it! One thing to note, we way increased the serving size even though there was 8 of us and its a good thing we did...we all wanted lots and lots of the chimuchurri. It was also tried with the potatoes and some baked halibut. All with exceptional results. Will certainly make again. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT6 Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens.
WOW!!! What a great flavorful, tender steak with a super chimichurri garnish. This is a keeper :) Thanks for posting. Made for SSaSSy's ZWT 6.