1/1 Photo of New York Strip Steak With Kalamata-Olive Chimichurri
1 hr 5 mins
Dr. Jenny's Note:
DH and I made this recipe from Feb 2009 Bon Appetit and thought it was really good. The recipe recommends using grass-fed steak and to serve the steak rare. Prep time includes time for the steak to rest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons fruity olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half (preferably fresh)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 2 (14 -16 ounce) New York strip steaks, about 2 inches thick
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Heat 2 Tb oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add sliced garlic, red pepper, and bay leaf. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 3Add shallots and saute until just translucent, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4Stir in parsley, olives, and vinegar. Add 1 Tb water. Add more water by teaspoonfuls to thin as need. Season Chimichurri with salt and pepper.
- 5Note: This can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- 6Rub steaks with 1 Tb oil and pressed garlic. Sprinkle both sides of each steak with 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp coarse salt, cayenne, and generous amount of black pepper. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- 7Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 8Brush heavy, very large oven-proof skillet (preferably cast iron) with oil. Heat over high heat until almost smoking. Add steaks.
- 9Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn steaks and transfer skillet to oven.
- 10Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into steaks registers 110 to 115 degrees F for rare, about 10 minutes.
- 11Let steaks rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice cross-wise. Spoon chimichurri over.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New York Strip Steak With Kalamata-Olive Chimichurri
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.2
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 107.1 mg
- Sodium 384.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 27.8 g