- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (10 ounce) boneless New York strip steaks, each 1-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs white button mushrooms, left whole and untrimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 T of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season steaks with 1 t of the salt and 1/4 t of the pepper.
- Place steaks in the hot pan and cook, turning to brown both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Remove steaks and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- In same skillet, add the remaining 1 T oil.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring for 10-15 minutes, until mushrooms are golden and soft.
- Add thyme, 1/4 t salt and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon; place in a bowl.
- In same skillet, add brandy and cook until brandy is almost evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add cream and cook 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Return mushrooms and their juices to the pan and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Season with the remaining 1/4 t salt and 1/4 t pepper.
- Serve with steak.