Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious steak and sauce from Pol Martin, a famous Canadian chef. Rib-eye steaks may be substituted for the New Yorks.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 New York strip steaks, 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, cleaned and sliced in thirds
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 150ºF.
- Cook steaks in two batches using the following procedure. Heat half of oil in large frying pan. When hot, add meat and cook 3 to 4 minutes over high heat.
- Turn meat over, season well and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes. Remove meat from pan and keep steaks hot in oven.
- Place peppercorns in small bowl and add 2 tablespoons cream. Mash together and set aside.
- Add butter to pan and heat. Cook mushrooms, shallots and parsley 3 minutes. Season.
- Add cognac and cook 3 minutes over high.
- Mix in rest of cream and peppercorn mixture; cook 4 to 5 minutes over high.
Very close to the kind I had when I lived in Belgium and "faked" a recipe once I got back to the States. Excellent.