Recipe by Russell Bell
Cheesecake - New York Style. Dense and Rich. This recipe comes from a Grocery Store Checkout Counter Cookbook. I have used it many years and have gotten many compliments.
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 1⁄3 cups fine cake crumbs
- 1 1⁄4 lbs cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature slightly beaten)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven rack in center of oven; heat to 325°F (160°C).
- Coat 8-inch (20cm) spring form pan evenly with the butter. Place cake crumbs in pan; tilt and rotate pan to evenly coat bottom and sides with crumbs. Press crumbs gently into place. Invert pan to discard any excess crumbs; reserve pan.
- Cut cream cheese into 1-inch cubes; place in a large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until completely smooth. Continue beating while slowly adding whipping cream, lemon juice and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat until mixture is smooth.
- Add sour cream to cheese mixture, beat at medium speed until blended. Continue beating while very slowly adding sugar; beat until sugar is absorbed. Add eggs, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Pour batter into reserved pan. Gently rotate pan several quarter-turns to settle batter. Bake until sides of cake are set 2 inches in from edges and center is still pudding like, about 1 hour and 15 minutes, for a creamy center. For a firmer center, bake until center is just set, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Turn oven off. Let cake stand in oven with door propped open 8 inches, 30 minutes.
- Transfer pan to wire rack away from drafts. Let cool undisturbed until sides and bottom of pan are completely cooled to room temperature.
- Remove sides of pan. Refrigerate cake uncovered overnight or at least 8 hours. Cover cake loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until serving time.