New York Hot Dog Onion Sauce (United States)
- Saute the onions and the garlic in oil, simmering, about 15 to 20 minutes, until tender, not brown.
- Add the flour and stir and cook at least one minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer 50 minutes.
- If its getting too thick, add a touch more water.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve on those next bbq hot dogs, with another slather of mustard on top.
- Yesterday I did make another batch with the cloves added , and I really enjoyed it, so give the cloves a chance if you are not a clove user, it brings out all the flavours of the onions and sweetness and tartness.