Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
The preparation of the onion sauce differs from cart to cart, this one may be thicker than some.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 large onions, sliced and chopped
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- all beef hot dog (boiled or grilled)
- hot dog bun, steamed
- plain yellow mustard
- Make the sauce: in a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add in the onions.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Decrease heat to low and saute onions, stirring often, for 30 minutes, or until onions are softened and translucent but not browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat, uncovered and stirring often, for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until mixture thickens and onions are very tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more crushed red pepper and vinegar, if desired.
- Make hot dogs: place hot dogs in buns and top with mustard.
- Add sauerkraut and top with New York Hot Dog Onion Sauce; serve immediately.