I have only found my favorite potato salad in delicatessens in New York City and Long Island and in some Italian and Jewish delis elsewhere. After much searching, a friend on Long Island sent me this recipe which comes as close to perfection as any I've tried. The recipe may be cut down as the quantities are for a party.
- Steam potatoes over 32-40 oz. water.
- Peel while hot. (You can actually scrape off the skin by hand under cold water.).
- Cool in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Mix next seven ingredients in a bowl, adding oil last.
- Slice the potatoes in 1/4" slices into a very large bowl.
- Fold in the mixture.
- Chill overnight.
- Add Hellman's mayo to desired consistency.
- Spread in large, flat serving dishes and garnish. (I used fresh parsley and finely grated carrots for color.).