Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is good year round. From the cookbook "365 Vegetarian Soups" by Gregg R. Gilespie.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (I use Smart Balance)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (can leave out or use a splash of red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 sprigs parsley
- toasted French bread
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt the margarine in a soup kettle or Dutch oven, and saute the onion until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add broth, water, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450*.
- F. Have oven proof soup bowls ready.
- Turn off the heat, adjust the salt and pepper to taste, discard the parsley, and pour into oven proof soup bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of toasted bread, sprinkle with cheese, and bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.