This soup is good year round. From the cookbook "365 Vegetarian Soups" by Gregg R. Gilespie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup margarine (I use Smart Balance)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (can leave out or use a splash of red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 sprigs parsley
- toasted French bread
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Melt the margarine in a soup kettle or Dutch oven, and saute the onion until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add broth, water, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- 2Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450*.
- 3F. Have oven proof soup bowls ready.
- 4Turn off the heat, adjust the salt and pepper to taste, discard the parsley, and pour into oven proof soup bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of toasted bread, sprinkle with cheese, and bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New York Classic Onion Soup(Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.7
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 229.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 3.8 g