1 hr 40 mins
Nat Da Brat's Note:
I'm not a New Yorker so I can't tell you if these are authentic, but they are delicious.The recipe makes 4 large, but can easily make 8 or more smaller ones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 minced onion
- 3 tablespoons fat-free chicken broth or 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
- seasoning (optional) or chives (optional) or red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1Peel, halve and boil potatoes until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- 2Mash in a large bowl.
- 3Sauté onion in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter until translucent but not brown.
- 4Add to mashed potatoes with broth, salt, pepper and spices.
- 5Stir well.
- 6Melt remaining tablespoon of butter.
- 7Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 8Layer 3 sheets of phyllo dough and cut in half.
- 9Repeat with remaining 3 sheets.
- 10Spoon 1 cup of potato mixture on each section of phyllo, mold into a large ball and position off-center at one end of strip of dough.
- 11Roll ball along the length of phyllo, folding dough over bottom of filling and leaving some filling poking through the top.
- 12(Trim and discard excess dough.) Brush melted butter over edges of knish to seal the seams and press down onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- 13Repeat with other knishes.
- 14Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- 15Makes four knishes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New York City Knish
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.1
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 521.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 8.6 g