Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm not a New Yorker so I can't tell you if these are authentic, but they are delicious.The recipe makes 4 large, but can easily make 8 or more smaller ones.
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- 36.97 ml butter
- 0 minced onion
- 44.37 ml fat-free chicken broth or 44.37 ml vegetable broth
- 2.46 ml salt, more to taste
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper, more to taste
- seasoning (optional) or chives (optional) or red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 6 sheet phyllo dough
- Peel, halve and boil potatoes until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Mash in a large bowl.
- Sauté onion in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter until translucent but not brown.
- Add to mashed potatoes with broth, salt, pepper and spices.
- Stir well.
- Melt remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Layer 3 sheets of phyllo dough and cut in half.
- Repeat with remaining 3 sheets.
- Spoon 1 cup of potato mixture on each section of phyllo, mold into a large ball and position off-center at one end of strip of dough.
- Roll ball along the length of phyllo, folding dough over bottom of filling and leaving some filling poking through the top.
- (Trim and discard excess dough.) Brush melted butter over edges of knish to seal the seams and press down onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Repeat with other knishes.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Makes four knishes.