Another of Mr. Food's creations my family loves! Great for a summertime dessert. Time is approximate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, butter and brown sugar; beat for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Measure out 1 cup of the flour mixture and set aside.
- Press the remaining flour mixture into an ungreased 8 inch square baking pan to form a crust.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until light brown.
- In the same bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the baked crust and sprinkle with the reserved 1 cup flour mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until firm in the center. Let cool on a baking rack then cut into 2 inch squares.
- Top with favorite pie filling.
Made a double batch of these bars to take to a holiday potluck & they were a big hit! I was generous with the lemon zest & when I set it out on the counter for serving, I included 2 sides of topping ~ One was a blueberry pie filling & the other a homemade cranberry & strawberry topping I'd made a day or so before! However, the bars, themselves, even without the fruity topping, were absolutely wonderful! A very nice keeper recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my swapmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #35]
Easy to make and delicious - a winner with all of my family. Given an awesome rating by my kids:) I made the recipe gluten-free by using a purchased blended gluten-free flour (Orgran brand) and replaced 1/4 cup of flour with almond meal.We served the squares with a thick Greek yogurt and tinned crsuhed pineapple. A winner recipe. Reviewed for Aussie Forum Recipe Swap Aug 2010. Photo also to be posted