Recipe by Bev
What a delicious way to end a meal! There's nothing better than a great piece of New York Cheesecake!
Top Review by CareyLee
WOW.. this was my very first time making a cheesecake. Hubby wanted cheesecake for his b-day so I went in search and found this recipe. I must say that I've been intimidated with the thoughts of making a cheesecake in regards to whether or not to use a water bath & how long to cook it, but after some research I found that the reason why this recipe does not call for a water bath is because of the flour. Cheesecakes with cornstarch or flour added to the batter do not crack as easily from overbaking. The starch molecules will actually get in between the egg proteins preventing them from over-coagulating. No over-coagulating, no cracks!! So I did as the recipe stated & only put it in a pan therefore no cracks. The only things I did differently was to not add the lemon because I had none & after it was done baking I left it in the oven to cool. PERFECTION!!
- 2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Stir until well combined.
- Press onto bottom and about 2-1/2 inches up the sides of a 9x3-inch springform pan.
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add eggs and egg yolks, beating on low speed just until combined.
- Stir in whipping cream and lemon peel.
- Pour into pan.
- Place pan in a shallow baking pan in the oven. (Does not mention anything about a water bath)
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 1-1/2 hours or until center appears nearly set when shaken.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Loosen crust from sides of pan.
- Cool 30 minutes more; remove sides of pan.
- Cool completely.
- Chill 4 to 24 hours.
- If desired, garnish with fresh berries.