Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
A true New York Deli recipe!
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon brandy or 1 -2 tablespoon rum
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine all ingredients and work into a smooth paste. Chill one hour. Then fit into bottom and sides of a 91/2 springform pan. Chill while making filling.
- Combine cheese and egg yolks. Beat with electric mixer till perfectly smooth. Then, add while continuing to beat, 1 C sugar, the flour, sour cream and flavorings. Beat till light and smooth. Then whip the egg whites with the remaining 1/3 C sugar till soft peaks form. Fold whites into cheese mixture and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 for 70 - 75 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool in oven with the door ajar.
- Note: I have also baked this in a bain marie or water bath but have not noticed much difference.