1/2 Photos of New York Breakfast Casserole
1 hr 20 mins
Adapted from Deb Perelman's wonderful 'The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook'. Bagels and cream cheese make me reminisce about Collegetown Bagels in Ithaca, New York; I rarely enjoy them now because of the carbs/calories, but found this casserole to be worth it. Gooey on the bottom, crusty on top - yum. The prep and cook times do not include overnight chilling,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 everything bagels, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese, cut into irregular small bits
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- capers, for serving (optional)
- lox, for serving (optional)
- crisply cooked bacon, for serving (optional)
- 1The night before serving the casserole, spread one half of the bagel cubes in the bottom of a greased 9-by-13-inch pan.
- 2Dot with half of the Neufchatel cheese, and mix in the red onion and tomatoes.
- 3Make one more layer with the bagel cubes and Neufchatel cheese.
- 4Whisk eggs with milk, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over the bagels. Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 5The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from the fridge, uncover and bake until casserole has puffed, turned golden brown and cooked through. (A knife inserted into the center of the casserole and rotated slightly should not release any liquid.) This will take about an hour. You may cover the pan with foil for the last 15-20 minutes if the top bagels are getting too brown for your liking.
- 6Let cool a few minutes, and serve in big scoops with a sprinkle of capers and a side of lox or bacon.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New York Breakfast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.5
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 216.9 mg
- Sodium 913.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 19.8 g