1/1 Photo of New York Bialy, First Cousin to a Bagel
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is actually native to New York and is really a type of bagel. It's super good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups luke warm water
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 4 -5 cups white flour (preferably unbleached)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornmeal (for sprinkling the baking sheets)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or other veggie oil)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt (for the finishing touch)
- 1Whisk together the water, sugar and yeast, whisk until the yeast has dissolved Stir in about 1 tbsp salt and about 2 1/2 cups flour, just enough flour to make a soft dough.
- 2Knead on floured board or using your dough hook in your mixer.
- 3By hand knead 8-10 minutes with the dough hook about 6 minutes.
- 4Incorporate flour as you are doing this until your dough is smooth and elastic Cover dough with clean cloth and set aside to rise (I do this in the oven with the oven light on).
- 5Let rise until double in size and then punch down.
- 6Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and sprinkle with the cornmeal.
- 7Stir together the onions, poppy seed and oil.
- 8In an other bowl whisk together the egg& 2 tbsp water.
- 9When the dough has risen and you have punched it down divide it into 12 equal pieces and let it rest for ten minutes.
- 10Roll or stretch each piece into a 4-5 inch oval and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- 11Brush each Bialy with the egg mixture and sprinkle with the onion/poppy seed mixture (about a heaping tablespoonful on each).
- 12Cover with a floured tea towel and let rise until they look puffy (about 30-40 minutes).
- 13Place in 450F oven, reduce heat right away to 425F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New York Bialy, First Cousin to a Bagel
Serving Size: 1 (1184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.5
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 590.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 5.8 g