Recipe by Bergy
This is actually native to New York and is really a type of bagel. It's super good!
Top Review by Iron Bloomers
This is a 5 star recipe x3. I just found one major problem--it doesn't make enough--12 is just not enough!!!!!Wow they are fantastic & so very easy to make. The aroma coming from the oven is exactly like the bakery back home!!!!The yeast bread smell mixed with the onion is pure heaven! I will make these over & over & over ......5* and then some
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups luke warm water
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 4 -5 cups white flour (preferably unbleached)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornmeal (for sprinkling the baking sheets)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or other veggie oil)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt (for the finishing touch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the water, sugar and yeast, whisk until the yeast has dissolved Stir in about 1 tbsp salt and about 2 1/2 cups flour, just enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on floured board or using your dough hook in your mixer.
- By hand knead 8-10 minutes with the dough hook about 6 minutes.
- Incorporate flour as you are doing this until your dough is smooth and elastic Cover dough with clean cloth and set aside to rise (I do this in the oven with the oven light on).
- Let rise until double in size and then punch down.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and sprinkle with the cornmeal.
- Stir together the onions, poppy seed and oil.
- In an other bowl whisk together the egg& 2 tbsp water.
- When the dough has risen and you have punched it down divide it into 12 equal pieces and let it rest for ten minutes.
- Roll or stretch each piece into a 4-5 inch oval and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Brush each Bialy with the egg mixture and sprinkle with the onion/poppy seed mixture (about a heaping tablespoonful on each).
- Cover with a floured tea towel and let rise until they look puffy (about 30-40 minutes).
- Place in 450F oven, reduce heat right away to 425F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.