Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 packets yeast, active, dry
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 7 cups flour, unbleached
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped
- Heat milk and butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F.).
- Mix yeast, salt, sugar, and 1 cup flour.
- Slowly beat into warm milk.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and 1 cup of flour.
- Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and let rise again until doubled. (1 hour more).
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape pretzel as follows: Roll dough into a rope about 30 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cross the ends leaving a large loop in the center.
- Flip loop back onto crossed ends to form a pretzel.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets.
- Let rise 15 minutes more.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla to form a thin icing.
- Spread icing on pretzels and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
Saving this one to the recipe box, best one Ive found. A big hit with the crowd!
Whew! These pretzels or any pretzels are a lot of work but taste incredible! You will not be sorry taking the time to make pretzels from scratch. I did brush mine with butter and dipped them in a mixture of 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon after they came out of the oven. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.