Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
While my mother made this several times a year it was always made on New Year's. She served it with mashed potatoes, peas or Hoppin' John (she was from Savannah, GA and had to have her black-eyed peas for New Year's). I vary the amount of brown sugar used by whether my daughter is home for dinner (Simi likes everything sweet). Normally I go for a balanced sweet/sour taste. This works well in either the oven or crock-pot. The leftover sauerkraut is great served with hot dogs.
- 4 lbs pork roast (chops or ribs can be used too)
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped (divided)
- 1⁄2-1 cup brown sugar (to taste)
- Combine sauerkraut, onion, half the garlic, apples, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Lay in bottom of either 9x13 pan or crock-pot. I usually spray the pan or use an oven bag or crock-pot liner to make cleanup easy.
- Make a well in the middle of the sauerkraut and place roast in pan. Season roast with salt and pepper. Sprinkle roast with other half of garlic and I like to sprinkle a little of the brown sugar on top too.
- Bake covered in 350 oven for about 3 hours or in crock-pot on low for 8 hours. If making in the oven, remove cover last half hour or just broil for a few minutes to brown.