My wife and I wanted to make something special using Blackeye Peas for luck and we came up with this New Year's version of Pasta Fagioli. The Blackeye peas tend to nestle into the pasta shells. The Blackeye Peas are seasoned so not much additional seasoning is needed.
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions.
- Saute the onions and garlic over med. heat until soft about 4 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, salt and pepper and continue to saute until slightly brown.
- Add the Ham and blackeye peas (including the liquid) and cook until it starts to simmer.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and toss with the blackeye pea mixture.
- Taste and correct seasonings if needed.
- Serve in bowls and top with grated cheese.