Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My wife and I wanted to make something special using Blackeye Peas for luck and we came up with this New Year's version of Pasta Fagioli. The Blackeye peas tend to nestle into the pasta shells. The Blackeye Peas are seasoned so not much additional seasoning is needed.
- 1 can seasoned southern style black-eyed peas
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered length-wise then 1/8 sliced
- 2 ounces of thick ham or 2 ounces bacon, diced
- 6 ounces medium pasta shells
- salt and pepper
- grated cheese, for topping (optional)
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions.
- Saute the onions and garlic over med. heat until soft about 4 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, salt and pepper and continue to saute until slightly brown.
- Add the Ham and blackeye peas (including the liquid) and cook until it starts to simmer.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and toss with the blackeye pea mixture.
- Taste and correct seasonings if needed.
- Serve in bowls and top with grated cheese.