This is a tried and true traditional recipe for New Year's Day in the South.
Make and share this New Year's Hopping John recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil, bacon drippings or 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or 2 1/2 cups)
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- Saute the first three ingredients in a large Dutch oven in hot oil, bacon drippings, or butter until tender.
- Add water and next five ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Serve over rice.