1/2 Photos of New Year's Hopping John
1 hr 5 mins
This is a tried and true traditional recipe for New Year's Day in the South.
My Private Note
side di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil, bacon drippings or 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or 2 1/2 cups)
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1Saute the first three ingredients in a large Dutch oven in hot oil, bacon drippings, or butter until tender.
- 2Add water and next five ingredients.
- 3Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until peas are tender.
- 4Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 5Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Year's Hopping John
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.8
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.5 mg
- Sodium 595.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 18.3 g